Facebook – where we started the original Robbed in Barcelona – is closing down all “Discussion” functionality, so in an attempt to not lose our valuable user contributions, we’re moving these to the blog.
I know someone who got robbed in Barcelona
An idea for Crime-stopping in Barcelona by Karl Hungus:
This city is going realy bad now on thie pickpocket situation, nobody is doing nothing, everybody is accepting this situation, but I realy think that as the government just don’t give a damm about this situation, that it should be us to act, and act RIGHT NOW.
I don’t know if thie idea could work but anyway let me know what you guys think:
The population is the key, as government don’t care. So what about a “campain” in order to give or sell those little noise maker (it looks like little spay bottle, but they make a good noise) to the maximum of the citizen in order for them to use it whenever they see someone trying to robb.
The idea would be:
- Find a supplier of those noise spray
- Find a mentor company that could buy those spray in exchange of some publicity
- Contact the media
- Make a demonstration on a saturday on Plaza Jaume using all our contacts
- During the demonstration make the add for the mentor company and explain the problem and deliver those spray to residents of Barcelona (and only residents)
- Continue the buzz and observe
The effect should be:
- a non violent solution
- Local government oblige to react
- Tourist aware of the danger by this specific noise
- Thieves scared by this noise: they are actualy REALY cowards, every time that you shout, they leave. So the noise maker + a good “PICKPOCKET” shout would work perfectly.
if people are scared of doing it we could also do the same action but also providing pepper spray in case the thieves would try to fight back with violence.
Good idea, but a lot of people are afraid to do anything when they see a robbery.
The theives literally will do anything to not cause a scene. they will actually try to convince you they werent trying to rob you even after you take back your cell phone and punch them in the face. the problem with this is…you wouldnt want to disseminate that information cus then mabey they would actually start to become violent. which is worse than just taking your stuff.
They’re already getting violent. I know three people who have been mugged recently, two of them were badly beaten.
yeah i saw a chick get hit with an umbrella on princessa on saturday.