Remarkable Video of Robbery on Barcelona Motorway

August 31, 2011

This is a remarkable video. Provided by the lovely people at The Telegraph newspaper in the UK, their accompanying article explains that the Catalan police have “arrested 11 people responsible for an estimated 90 robberies all using the same modus operandi.”

It continues, saying: “First the criminals pick out a car with foreign plates and drive alongside it, they throw a stone at the car, prompting the driver to stop to investigate. The robber’s car then pulls over alongside and while one criminal distracts the driver, a second person sneaks into the victim’s car and grabs what they can before driving off. ”

We feel for the helpless individuals just robbed. Imagine their state of mind as they get back into their car, 100s of kilometres remaining to their destination and nothing but the incident to think about for the duration. We expect that few report the crime because if you’re on a motorway heading out of Barcelona then you’ll likely continue on your way.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to Remarkable Video of Robbery on Barcelona Motorway

1. Sean Needham on September 1, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Not only happening to ‘foreign’ vehicles, but there’s been a few cases on the stretch of the C16 between Manresa and Berga where it’s happened as well.
    A local friend of mine was pulled over by a car after a ‘bang’ on the road, and the occupants of the car claimed that the damage to the vehicle they were in were caused as a collision and attempted to get my friend to drive in to the village to withdraw X amount from the bank so they wouldn’t have to mess around with insurance; it was only when someone from the village spotted a ‘strange’ vehicle parked up outside the bank with a couple of unknowns loitering and asked them what they were doing, so subsequently they took off that something amiss was uncovered.

2. pauline hutchinson on October 7, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Believe it or not but we were targeted not once but twice!the first time we were on the motorway heading through Barcelona when we heard a horrendous bang and slowed down then when we stopped we found we had been shot at with an air rifle only then 2 men approached the car (in speeding traffic)we then made a hasty exit after sounding the horn and with sppeding traffic ignoring our situation.The following year at the same spot heading back to spain at 6 am the same thing happened again this time we just kept on motoring once again we had been shot at with an air rifle.We were lucky?….the only cost to us was a total of ¬£750 repair bills for the damage and yes we were driving a BMW with GB plates .We now avoid this route back to th UK.

• Rob Daly on October 8, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Would you be interested in writing a guest post (just a few hundred words) for this blog? We don’t have to use your name, if you’d prefer? If so, drop us a line at the email address at the top of this page. We haven’t had an air-rifle story before, so it’s of interest. Thanks for sharing.

• pauline hutchinson on October 8, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I will be in touch when I get back to the uk next week.We now drive back via Bordeaux much safer!(so far)

3. [...] A Weekend of Crime in Barcelona: 2,618 readers. Guest Post: Red Handed, Red Handle: 2,584 readers. Remarkable Video of Robbery on Barcelona Motorway: 2,554 [...]

4. John Jefferis on February 11, 2013 at 12:06 pm

A similar thing nearly happened to us in the same area. Quick thinking wife got her camera out and as soon as they saw it they sped away leaving us untouched. In our case it was the caravan that had the stone thrown at us. It has not put us off going back though. It happens occasionally, but it does not happen to thousands of others.

5. Tina on February 23, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I just came across this site because I will have to travel this route again next week and I wanted to see if this is still happening. In November of 2011 I was traveling in a van on this same stretch of road when we were hit on the passenger side with an air gun. A black Mercedes pulled up next to us and indicated there was an urgent problem so we pulled over. The driver got out and I stayed in the car until a lady from the Mercedes ran over and said the van was on fire. My friend did not speak Spanish and so I got out of the van. Someone hiding in the car then sneaked out on the traffic side and cleaned us out. I lost a knapsack with a notebook computer, a digital camera, my passport, all of my money & credit cards. my plane tickets, driver’s license, in short, everything of importance. My friend lost his banana sack with his papers and quite a bit of cash too. We went to the police who were, in my opinion, extremely helpful. Since my friend did not speak Spanish they found an officer who spoke French and they were quite frustrated with not being able to do anything. They said this happens frequently and that cars with French plates are often targeted. I was able to pick the woman out of a photograph book. She had been charged numerable times for the same crime but apparently since it is not considered a serious infraction they could not do anything. She was a member of a Peruvian gang that had been working that same strip of roadway successfully for awhile. The officer spent the entire afternoon helping us create a detailed report so that we would have what we needed to replace our papers. He called my bank to cancel my cards and he gave me emergency contact information for the U.S. Embassy. He even escorted us to a hotel afterward and vouched for us to the manager since we had no way to pay until we could get money wired the next day. Then when Western Union refused to give us the money with just a photo copy of my passport we called the same officer who came to the office with his lights on and demanded that they help us. He gave them a lecture about how they all had to stick together to help the tourists that visit Barcelona. We got the money.
    The only other time in my life that I have been robbed was in a restaurant parking lot not 20 km away and happened 2 years before that when my luggage was taken out of the boot. This was a restaurant we had frequented for years because they had a security guard. That day though we hadn’t realized the guard had been replaced by a camera.
    Since our vehicle was attacked we have spoken to a dozen people who have had similar incidents in the exact same place. This is by no means isolated and Barcelona is playing with a time bomb if they don’t toughen up the penalties against these highway bandits. They are lucky someone hasn’t been hurt or killed. The blood would be entirely on the government’s hands – they know what is going on and they just don’t care.

6. Phil Lunney on March 24, 2013 at 6:18 pm

We were targeted by Bogus policemen while towing a caravan with UK plates in 2006 When they asked for passports we refused to show them and drove off.