Our “Tell The Mayor” feature has proven popular, to the shame of everyone associated with this website.
Some 41 submissions have come through the site between January 18th and June 30th 2012. (There have been 10 since then, so far.)
We have submitted these testimonies to the Mayor’s office and we will now contact the 41 people asking them to inform us if the Mayor responds, so that we may compare the replies issued. It would be nice to think that the replies would be individually tailored to the needs and queries of the victims, but we expect it to be standard boilerplate stuff.
Of the 41, the origins of the victims were:
New Zealand: 1
Note that the 41 who submitted information to us provided full names, postal addresses and email addresses. As we promised these people, this information will remain private and has only been shared with the Mayor/Mayor’s Office.
Here are a few anonymous extracts:
- ”It was the second day of a ten day trip. The police, who were in the square where the thief made his escape, provided zero assist ance despite my description of the events. We left on the next flight out, at a significant cost to me and my friend.”
- “I went , of course, at the Police stat ion located nearby and when the policemen asked me where I was from and I replied “Romania” they said nothing could be done. Do you really believe that if you punish a person that was robbed and happened to be a Romanian, you can punish the Romanians that commit crimes in Spain?”
- “To be robbed is a horrible and traumatic experience not to mention the loss of your money and precious holiday ruined. The worst part was the lack of help and care and the general acceptance that this was just one of these things, like it’s okay, just get over it! It is NOT okay. Do something about it Barcelona!”
- “The bag had been emptied all over the street but the money from the purse, the camera and the phone had all gone.”
- “Suddenly 2 men stopped him and us and asked if he was troubling us we said no he was just showing us a restaurant and then they falshed their police id cards and said that he is a drug peddler and had we bought drugs from him, they did a body search to us and removed our wallets to check for drugs.”
- “Barcelona is a great city but never again will I visit and I will warn all my friends and family to stay clear. What sort of a holiday is it that means you must be on your guard all the time?”