Puncture in Barcelona? Beware!

October 8, 2013

12 Responses to Puncture in Barcelona? Beware!

1. ttt on October 1, 2013 at 11:28 am

Sorry for your loss!
    Some tips that might be helpful for protection:
    With most cars you CAN lock the car even if the boot is open. Do it if you have to stop and fiddle with the boot for any reason. Beware, though, and don’t put the keys inside the boot! Because locking the car when the boot is open usually means that when you subsequently slam the boot shut the car will be completely locked, so any key placed in the boot would be trapped.
    ALWAYS lock your car in BCN and if your car has it engage auto-power lock (recent cars usually have it). Then you don’t have to think about locking your car when driving, it will lock itself when you start to drive faster than 10km/h and stay locked. The car will disengage power lock automatically when you pull the door handle from the inside or in case of a crash.
    Check your car’s manual to find out how to set it up that way (eg. on Peugeot that feature is switched on by pressing and holding the power lock key for 3 seconds). Most Spanish/Italian/French people I know have their car set up this way – for good reason.

2. Arne Bertelsen on October 1, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Sorry to hear this. Our tire also got stabbed probably by scooter guy in red light at Glories and a “friendly” scooter guy pointed at my tire before Arc del Triumfo but I noticed the trick and waved to him. Realizing then he was right with the tire. But made it to the Midas on c. Meridiana in time and car was empty anyway. After six years with our old german registered car we now have a spanish reg. car and a lot less stress in El Borne when parking. Two times window smashed when parking in the street in six years. A shame – such a beatifull city.

3. Bill on December 16, 2013 at 8:10 am

Hi every body
    I have had a tyre slashed twice now in Barcelona after coming off the ferry done by a scooter and been robbed once is it not time the police or authorities did something about or at least had a number we could ring so we could be escorted out of Barceloa somebody will be killed soon or the tourist business will suffer and Spain will even less money coming in some thing needs to be done.
    Bill

4. Gill Harrison on May 27, 2014 at 3:45 pm

This happened to me 8 years ago in a traffic jam on one of the main roads leading to the Placa Catalunya at 10am. Luckily some workmen on the pavement pointed the flat tyre out to me and I managed to drive out to a nearby garage without having to stop. The man in the garage helped me change the tyre and directed me to a nearby tyre shop. The men in both places obviously knew all about this form of attack. The police must have known about this for a long time but have still done nothing to stop it. I live just over the border in France and everyone I know has some story about being robbed/attacked in or around Barcelona. It’s very short-sighted of the authorities to do nothing, as it makes one think twice before visiting.

5. kieranmc on January 5, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Exactly same happened to me in December 2014. Thankfully there was 6 of us so no opportunity to get near car while wheel being changed.

6. Fiona Harbison on January 8, 2015 at 6:34 am

We had not even arrived in Barcelona. After coming through a tol booth we had a puncture on back passenger side. We pulled up to change it. Two men in a brown car stopped to “help” us. We don’t speak Spanish, but told them we were ok. They were telling us to catch a taxi. While we were thinking this was the scam, one must have reached into the car and stole a couple of bags, containing money, phone, credit cards,etc.
    Police were understanding and helpful, but I can’t understand how Spain has tollways without security. I understand that photos aren’t taken at tollbooths, which seems strange to me.
    We had been warned about Barcelona, but didn’t expect this.
    Welcome to Barcelona!

7. Bill on March 10, 2015 at 6:20 am

Hello everybody the same thing happened to me in Barcelona twice it is now happened to me and it is a very dangerous situation for the public and tourists I don’t have either please do not do anything about it I will not be going to Barcelona ever again and I can possibly avoid it

8. Johan on December 6, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Hallo, the same thing happened to us when we got off the ferry. The tyre must have been punctured on a roundabout with lots of traffic lights, so they had every opportunity to slash it.
    A guy on a scooter signalled to us that we had a flat tyre. We pulled over and I started to change the tyre. Very soon some guy came and started talking to my wife, who was keeping an eye on our stuff. At the same time another guy came up from a different direction Luckily he couldn’t open any car doors because my wife had locked the car (whilst the boot was open).
    We need to take the same trip to Barcelona again. To avoid this from happening next time I’m thinking of walking behind the car with a baseball bat, with my wife slowly driving and all the alarm lights switched on. (From the ferry to the motorway is only a short distance.) Surely they wouldn’t dare target us again?!!

9. Mugiber on August 1, 2016 at 7:16 pm

I had the same thing happen in May 2015 except my car had something thrown at it so it felt like we hit something. A Mercedes motioned for us to pull over urgently. I pulled over and the drive (robber) was talking loudly to me in Spanish. I did not understand him and he was hitting the underneath of our car as if we had hit something. The other crook went around and stole my wife’s purse from the back seat. Cash, passports, IPAD, etc all gone. My 7 year old was in the back seat saying, “that guy just took your purse”. They jumped in to the Mercedes and were off. Left a mark about Barcelona. Unfortunately no help at all from the US Consulate. Very disappointing as we were on a videoed highway toward Montserrat and the Mercedes was definitely videotaped…

10. Ian foster on September 1, 2016 at 9:17 am

We had the tyre stabbed by a scooter rider on that now infamous roundabout!!! Then a gang member drove alongside for a mile teasing into a car park, then a guy with yellow armband appeared! Spoke with the other gang member. Then they somehow snatched the handbag from the car. 8 police arrived in minutes, but tbe gang had vanished..
    Lock the doors, call the police! Have the number in your phone put your flashers on. Film their faces..and vehicles

Any other advice welcomed.f

11. Ian foster on September 1, 2016 at 9:26 am

Be careful ,the police said these guys are armed, and probably not Spanish!

12. Hans on September 18, 2016 at 6:35 pm

Tried this yesterday, did not listen to them and escaped.